CANADA 150: A Celebration of Culture and Canadiana!
Students across Peace River School Division celebrated the 150th birthday of Canada on May 30th! We started the day singing O'Canada
simultaneously across the school division via Google Hangouts. At Paul Rowe we carried on this birthday celebration in the afternoon with:
- A BBQ at lunch;
- Canadian games including a selfie scavenger hunt, match the flag/flower to the province activity, hockey, soccer, archery, KUBB (aka Viking Chess) and board games such as Canada-opoly and Rukshuk (rock balancing);
- A Taste of Paul Rowe with food representing twenty of the cultural backgrounds of our students and staff. Students sampled ethnic foods from Scotland, Britain, Ireland, Germany, Poland, Norway, Finland, Switzerland, Sweden, Philippines, Holland/Netherlands, Russia and Ukraine.
- Tug or war competitions! The highlight was the best of three match between junior high and senior high students!
- A Canadian trivia Kahoot quiz game and birthday cake!
A special thanks goes out to Ms. Audrey Dittrick for spear heading the organization of the day and to the many student, parent and staff volunteers for helping to make this day so much fun! Thank you also to:
- Student helpers Aedon, Shane B., Chloe, Damien L., Erin, Tristan, Laurel, Emily, Caelin, Levi, Halle, Rory and Savannah;
- Parent helpers Roz Perez, Eleanor Miclette, Leanne Pharis, Cathy Wolf and Kerry Coulter;
- Maylene Payawal, Pam Galbraith, Shelly Lemon, Tanya Cousins, Laurie Henitiuk and Kerry Coulter for preparing food dishes for the Taste of Paul Rowe food fair;
- Mr. Andrew Bullen for the Kahoot trivia quiz;
- Mrs. Coree Asmussen for ordering and serving the birthday cakes;
- Staff for help running events and assisting with set up and clean up.